Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Letter to Coach Kleats

123 Main Street
Penticton, British Columbia,
V2A 3W1

May 25, 2011

Mr. Kleats
Head Basketball Coach
Central High School
123 Main Street
Sportstown, British Columbia
V2A 1W3


Dear Mr. Kleats:


My name is Arman Smith and I am the mother of Ryan Smith, who plays on your senior basketball team, Central High Cardinals. I recognize the time and effort you are spending in coaching the students in order for them to develop their skills. However, I do have some concerns.

I do appreciate the amount of time you have spent volunteering to coach the players but am disappointed with your punctuality. I have noticed on more than one occasion that the Cardinals arrive on time for training but you seem to be missing, Being on time would inspire the players to do the same and see you as a positive role model. As well, the practices that I have sat in on seem to be disorganized and are not geared towards improving the skills of the young players. The practices seem to have more emphasis on scrimmage than drills to practice essential basketball skills. To help with these concerns I suggest that you have a second coach that can help manage the team. This would also free some of your time and the players would benefit from it.

Attending all of the Cardinal's games I have observed that there too much focus on winning. Though I know the boys need to be motivated and keep a competitive spirit, they do not need to be constantly reminded that winning is the only objective. When they do lose it not only lowers their self esteem but it also makes them feel as if they have let you down. To follow with the winning mentality you do have, I have noticed that you have unequal playing time. My son who is less adept than other players has less playing time because of it. This is all so the team can win. I do not agree with this since all of us parents pay the same school sports fees and this was a no "try-out" basketball team. It should be changed so that every player was on a  three minute line up with players of varied strengths. This allows for the players to learn how to help each other and increases the bonding between them. Lastly, it's winning that you would like to see, I would like to offer that you change the tone of voice that you speak to your players with. A kind tone offers a positive response from the students and encourages them to play better.

I am very grateful that you have taken the time to read this letter and I hope you concur with my concerns. As well I do hope to receive a response.


Sincerely,



Arman Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment